Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
[aclug-L] Dialup (ppp)

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Dialup (ppp)
From: "Jeffrey L. Hansen" <jhansen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:35:37 -0600

Well, it looks as if my elation was short-lived. My intelligence has now kicked in and I'm, once again, in trouble.

The RH 5.1 installation seems to be working great. My modem however, isn't. It seems to be clicking the relay occasionally, but I wouldn't swear to that. Using "usernet" brings up a window that shows ppp0 but when clicking the button all I get is a yellow indication. I get no evidence that it's trying to dial and I never hear any indications on the phone itself when listening on the receiver.

Is there supposed to be an IP address listed after ppp0 in the network configurator window? I put it in under the nameserver, but it doesn't show up after ppp0 in the connection window. It seems like I heard of numerous bugs concerning the ppp setup, but this is the farthest I've come in the installation process. The newbie guide isn't entirely accurate nor complete in this area. It's a shame since the installation one was so good.

Any help will put me over the top and finally allow me to use Linux for internet work. Please, please, please . . .

TIA,
Jeff