Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Dialup (ppp)

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Dialup (ppp)
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:59:18 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Jeffrey L. Hansen wrote:

> that it's trying to dial and I never hear any indications on the phone
> itself when listening on the receiver.

is /dev/modem a link to the right /dev/ttyS? device?

> Is there supposed to be an IP address listed after ppp0 in the network
> configurator window?

I doubt it; most ppp connections have their IP address assigned.

> I put it in under the nameserver, but it doesn't show
> up after ppp0 in the connection window.

You need the nameserver IP(s) in /etc/resolv.conf.

> It seems like I heard of numerous bugs concerning the ppp setup, but
> this is the farthest I've come in the installation process.

Try going to kernel 2.2.* and the latest pppd ;)
(actually, it was pretty smooth once I realized what was going on)

-jeff
----
Do you realize how many holes there could be
if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?