Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Recommendation!!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Recommendation!!
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:08:13 -0600 (CST)

With X, RAM is usually the biggest consideration.  With 32-40mb RAM, you
should be able to run many X applications "comfortably".

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 jeffrey.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Is it out of the question to upgrade memory on a machine like that to, say,
> 32MB or so and put a Gig or so HDD on it and use it as a normal Linux box?
> I have one loaned to a neighbor with Win95 on it and was going to do just
> that when he tired of it and bought himself a new machine.  I understood it
> was okay to use a 486.  It has a good video card (Diamond Stealth SE, VLB)
> and about 1.5 GB total storage with 40 MB RAM.  Will it be too slow?
>
> Jeff
>

> jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx on 03/14/99 06:53:15 PM
>
> Please respond to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> To:   aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> cc:   aclug-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx (bcc: Jeffrey Hansen/BFTC/Bombardier)
> Subject:  Re: [aclug-L] Recommendation!!
>

> Mohammad Islam <sohel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I have a 486dx66 siting around collecting dust. I am going to install
> > linux on it sometime this week.(Skeleton install) It only has 8 megs of
> > ram and 240 megs HD. My question is.. what can i do with this machine
> > and linux? I basically want to turn it into a netwrok monitor for my LAN
> > and want to monitor network traffic. Any pointers on how that can be
> > achieved? What else can i do with it? Please gimme some recommendation.
> > I would appreciate it.
>
> That machine will be quite usable for things like:
>
>  * telnet server
>  * FTP server
>  * small Web server; check out the "boa" webserver
>  * network monitoring like you said
>  * smallish mail server
>  * most any text-mode app, but would probably need more space for
>    development, and LaTeX would be slow
>  * print server
>  * samba or NFS server
>  * firewall, proxy, router, or masquerade box
>  * log server (though a bigger HD would be good)
>  *
>
> It will make a quite capable network monitor.  If you have specific
> things that you are trying to do, let us know, and we can give you
> specific recommendations for those.
>
> It is also possible to use it for these things, but it will run very
> slowly:
>
>  * X and graphics
>  * programming (but need more HD space for that, most likely)
>  * typesetting
>
> For a machine with this configuration, I would not recommend RedHat.
> I would suggest Debian or Slackware, depending on your specific needs.
>
> -- John
> ---
> This is the Air Capital Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
> want to unsubscribe, send the word "unsubscribe" to
> aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your
> message to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.
>

> ---
> This is the Air Capital Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
> want to unsubscribe, send the word "unsubscribe" to
> aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your
> message to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-