Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
RE: Re: [aclug-L] Recommendation!!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Re: [aclug-L] Recommendation!!
From: John Goerzen <pilot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 00:23 -0600

Mohammad Islam wrote:

>I have a P100 with 80 megs of ram that currently serving as
>proxy/masquarade/samba/print/file server for my LAN of three computers.
>I want to take off all these services from it and put them on the 486.
>That's why i was asking whether its a good idea or not. Judging from
>your answer, i suppose that wouldn't be a problem.

Well, the key factor here is RAM.  Your P100 has 10 times more than
the 486 (I seem to remember the 486 has 8MB).  So while the 486
is indeed capable of doing any of those things, it may not be able to
handle them all simultaneously.  If, however, the load is very light,
you may be lucky and it could work nicely.  But I would suspect
that the memory situation is going to hurt.

>For the moment, i am interested to know how i can setup network
>monitoring on a system mentioned(486dx). Hmm would be possible to make a

What sort of network monitoring are you thinking of?  I'm aware
of three types of monitoring programs: those that monitor
the health of a network and automatically page you or alert
you when something goes wrong, those that generate long-term
statistics or graphs of network health and performance, and
those that identify what's going on with the LAN at any
given instant (ie, tcpdump).

>short topic on network monitoring on one of the aclug meeting?

It seems that we are needing to have another networking night
soon.  I'll start making a list of topics on Tuesday and we'll see
how far ahead we can plan.

>I wouldn't mind using Debian or Slackware. Although i would prefer
>Debian.

I think I'd agree there, knowing what you plan to use it for.