Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Recommendation!!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Recommendation!!
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 21:27:58 -0600 (CST)

To set up an X Terminal, you need a computer (your 486/66, for instance)
and a monitor/graphics card suitable for X, and a network (which I'm
assuming you have already).

You run an X server (XFree86, probably) on the 486, and then you can run
programs on your main (presumably faster) machine, but have them display
on the 486 machine--that way two people can run programs on the same
machine at the same time.

If you don't have a need for that, though, you may not want to mess with
it--unless you just want the experience of setting up an X terminal. :-)

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Mohammad Islam wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I am confused as to how i can make it X terminal.
> I have only one monitor. Now i can install all the X apps on it and
> sayinstall Xserver on my NT machine and execute x apps on my Nt machine
> over the network. Is that what your are doing? if not, please explain a
> bit more if you do not mind.
>
> On another note, how about turning it into a caching
> DNS/mail/Proxy/gateway server? Can this be done with a 486dx66 and
> minimal install of linux?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mohammed
> Jonathan Hall wrote:
> >
> > It could make an X Terminal (somewhat slow w/ 8mb RAM, but useable).
> >
> > With another 8-16mb RAM, it could do "anything" that any other Linux box
> > could do, it'd just be a bit slow.
> >
> > I have a 486DX/33 w/ 12mb RAM running as an X Terminal, so if you run your
> > X clients somewhere else, even 8mb would make a *useable* X Terminal,
> > although another 4-8mb would really help a lot.
> >

> ---
> This is the Air Capital Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
> want to unsubscribe, send the word "unsubscribe" to
> aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your
> message to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-