Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
[aclug-L] Sunday joke: who's the better programmer?

To: Undisclosed recipients: ;
Subject: [aclug-L] Sunday joke: who's the better programmer?
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:59:08 -0600 (EST)

Jesus and Satan  are  chatting  one  day,  and  the  subject of computer
programming  comes  up.  Soon, they're engrossed in an argument over who's the
better  programmer.  This  debate goes on for hours, and finally they agree to
hold a contest with God as the judge.  They sit down in front of their
computers, God says "Go!" and they begin.

For hours they sit, typing furiously, lines of code streaming up both screens.
Seconds before the end of the competition, a bolt of lightning strikes nearby
and takes out the electricity.  Two seconds later, the power comes back, and
God announces that the contest is over.

"Satan," God says.  "What did you come up with?"

Satan is visibly upset and cries out "Nothing!  I have nothing!  I lost it all
when the power went out!"

"Very well.  Let's see how Jesus did..."

Jesus smiled, and hit a command on his computer.  Instantly the screen came
alive  with  a  magnificent display of light and color, with angelic voices
pouring forth from the speakers.

Satan is amazed. "How? I lost everything, but his program is still intact!  How
did he do it?"

God chuckles.  "Jesus saves."