Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Modem Setup

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Modem Setup
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 11:17:20 -0600

I agree with John's suggestion. US Robotics/3 COM is almost always a
good bet. If you want a somewhat cheaper option, I have had pretty
good luck lately with the ZOOM 56K Dualmode modems (don't flame me
John :-). There is both an internal and external version and it
supports both V.90 and K56flex. These modems are based on a Rockwell
chipset, which is pretty good. There is also a lot of documentation
available for this chipset.

You may want to choose an ISP first and ask them for
suggestions. Find out what kind of hardware they use. It is generally
ideal to have the same brand of hardware that the ISP uses. I would guess
that companies tend to do the most testing for their own products.

John said it, but it is worth repeating... Avoid a WinModem. It will
not work with Linux, and only sometimes works with Windows. When
looking at a modem, look for the operating systems that it
supports. It will probably not list Linux, but if it lists DOS, you
are probably okay. If it only mentions Windows, put it back on the
shelf.

Good luck.