Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Modem Setup

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Modem Setup
From: "John Nunes" <jjnunes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 99 09:41:17

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999 11:17:20 -0600, Steven Saner wrote:

>John said it, but it is worth repeating... Avoid a WinModem. It will
>not work with Linux, and only sometimes works with Windows. When
>looking at a modem, look for the operating systems that it
>supports. It will probably not list Linux, but if it lists DOS, you
>are probably okay. If it only mentions Windows, put it back on the
>shelf.

I have recently seen some modems blatently misrepresented, such as when
I bought an Action Tec internal recently.  It said on the box that it
was 'compatible with OS/2' which if true, would mean that it wasn't a
winmodem.  Well, it turned out it was a winmodem and so I returned it.

USR is good, but they are relatively expensive - and don't forget that
they STARTED the winmodem farce.  A decent alternative are the Best
Data modems (they make winmodems too, so watch out).  They are Rockwell
based and make internal and external versions.  There is a $20 rebate
on them until 3-15.  Additionally, if you get an external, get the Mac
version --- it's the same except for the cable and is another $20
cheaper.

- John Nunes  <jjnunes@xxxxxxxxxxx>