Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
[aclug-L] Installing on a crusty old machine

To: "ACLUG-list" <ACLUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Installing on a crusty old machine
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 22:58:04 -0600

I inherited an old 386 after doing an upgrade for a friend.  I'd like to set
Linux up on it with a couple of NICs to use it as a router.  The problem is
that it doesn't support any distribution media I have.  I tried to hang an
IDE CDROM off it, but it's multi-io card is apparently too stupid to talk
ATAPI to it.

Should I write an armload of floppies?  Should I use something like Trinux
or the distribution from the Linux Router Project?  Should I try and set up
an install off my Zip drive (there's a mini-HOWTO about doing this...)?
Should I find an ISA SCSI host adaptor and a SCSI CDROM drive to stick in it
temporarily (more costly then I really want...)

I really don't want to invest any money into this beast, as it's not worth
it.  I just want to mess around with it and learn some stuff.  It all works,
complete with a spiffy little 80MB hard drive.  What's a good way to
approach it?  Right now, I guess I'm tending toward the floppy route, since
it's easy (albeit time consuming).

Greg