Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
[aclug-L] Soundblaster CD question

To: "ACLUG-list" <ACLUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Soundblaster CD question
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 23:03:49 -0600

I know this isn't really LInux related, but I have this CDROM drive that
came with a Soundblaster 16 package.  I'm wondering what kind of interface
this uses.  The Soundblaster it was attached to is staying in my friend's
system, but the CD drive was unbearably slow, so I pulled it out and
replaced it with a 24x IDE drive for him.

Now I have this ancient CDROM drive that I don't know what to do with.  I
think I heard it uses a Panasonic interface, but I'd like to confirm that.
I bought this Toptek Golden card that's supposed to support a bunch of
different proprietary interfaces, but I coudln't get it to work (no drivers,
no support, no luck).

I know, I know, why bother for what's probably a 1x drive?  I guess it's the
challenge, and the fact that I absolutely HATE to throw something away that
I know works.  This'd be fine for the 386 system I described in my last
message (in fact, it was originally in that system), but I need some kind of
interface for it that Linux will recognize.  Anyone know about this thing?

advTHANKSance,
Greg