Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Soundblaster CD question

To: ACLUG-list <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Soundblaster CD question
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 00:35:39 -0600 (EST)

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Greg House wrote:

> I know this isn't really LInux related, but I have this CDROM drive that
> came with a Soundblaster 16 package.  I'm wondering what kind of interface
> this uses.  The Soundblaster it was attached to is staying in my friend's
> system, but the CD drive was unbearably slow, so I pulled it out and
> replaced it with a 24x IDE drive for him.
>
> Now I have this ancient CDROM drive that I don't know what to do with.  I
> think I heard it uses a Panasonic interface, but I'd like to confirm that.
> I bought this Toptek Golden card that's supposed to support a bunch of
> different proprietary interfaces, but I coudln't get it to work (no drivers,
> no support, no luck).
>
> I know, I know, why bother for what's probably a 1x drive?  I guess it's the
> challenge, and the fact that I absolutely HATE to throw something away that
> I know works.  This'd be fine for the 386 system I described in my last
> message (in fact, it was originally in that system), but I need some kind of
> interface for it that Linux will recognize.  Anyone know about this thing?

It's most likely a panasonic, though some did have sony's attached.  The
problem is that it's unlikely you will find a card that will work with it,
expecially under linux.  I have such a beast. I had it hooked to a no-name
card under windows, with all the attending problems,  but there was no way
it would be supported under Linux in that configuration.  If you want to
use the drive, you really need it connected to the SB card. Trade your
friend a sound card and get the SB with the interface built in.  That's
the only way I know that will for certain work under Linux. I've seen new
SB16's go for $28 and used ones for $15-$20 if he absolutely has to have a
Soundblaster.  Under Windows, just about any card will work...

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx, dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.sktc.net/~dwh, www.dnd.ddns.org
   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a