Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
[aclug-L] LIBDIR problems

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] LIBDIR problems
From: "Scott T. Gardner" <gardners@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 21:37:37 +0000

I have a problem I am hoping someone can help me w/. The problem arises when I try to install several different programs. I get this error:

Libraries have been installed in:
   /usr/lib (or /usr/local/lib)

To link against installed libraries in a given directory, LIBDIR,
you must use the `-LLIBDIR' flag during linking.

 You will also need to do one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
     during execution
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
     during linking
   - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
   - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.
I have read the man pages on ld and ld.so but they are of now help. I haven't a clue what I am supposed to be doing or linking.  Two of the programs I am trying to install are EsounD and Eterm. Any help would greatly apperciated. Thanks.

--
Scott T. Gardner, MCP
Biomedical Equipment Repair