Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] LIBDIR problems

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] LIBDIR problems
From: Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 22:12:48 +0000

"Scott T. Gardner" wrote:

> I have a problem I am hoping someone can help me w/. The problem
> arises when I try to install several different programs. I get this
> error:
>
> ------
>
> Libraries have been installed in:
>    /usr/lib (or /usr/local/lib)
>
> To link against installed libraries in a given directory, LIBDIR,
> you must use the `-LLIBDIR' flag during linking.
>
>  You will also need to do one of the following:
>    - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
>      during execution
>    - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
>      during linking
>    - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
>    - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'
>
> See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
> more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.
> ---------------
> I have read the man pages on ld and ld.so but they are of now help. I
> haven't a clue what I am supposed to be doing or linking.  Two of the
> programs I am trying to install are EsounD and Eterm. Any help would
> greatly apperciated. Thanks.

what they are wanting you to do (if you have su rights), is add
LIBDIR (in this case: /usr/local/lib) to your /etc/ld.so.conf file.
just open it up in vi or emacs and add /usr/local/lib at the end, then
run ldconfig...  if it's already there, just run ldconfig -v, and it
will locate the new libs you installed!

if you're asking something more indepth than what i've said, you'll have
to find someone else, 'cause i don't know! : ^ )  also, if you don't
have su rights, i don't know exactly what to do either, but best of luck
anyway! : ^ )

jesse kaufman