Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Phi Samba Jamma

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Phi Samba Jamma
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 08:21:17 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Carl B. Davis wrote:

<snip error messages>

It looks like there are commands in those startup scripts that are
trying to run 'J:', which is probably a typo somewhere.

Also, I see you're trying to start portmap and nfs. Are you up-to-date
on the latest bugtraq exploits which use portmap? There's a lot of
hakerz goin' around lately using it -- beware.

> .... And so on.  I tried typing in S15nfsfs and S10network, and they are not
> executables or commands so I get the message "command not found".   The files
> are there, right where they are called for in the directory, but they
> apparently don't do what they are supposed to do.

They're probably not in your path, use
./S10network
and etc. (this is a good habit to get into, btw).

I would take a look at those files (more /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network)
and see what's going on.

> How can I test if Samba is working if I'm not sure if my other computers are
> properly configured either?

I'm not much help here, as I've never run it; you can see if it's
running (if it's a daemon (I assume?)) with `ps` ...

-jeff
-----
Jeff Schaller, UNIX System Administrator, Learjet Inc.
Phone: 316 946-7255, Fax: 316 946-2809
The above thoughts are mine and are not representative of Learjet.
 8:21am up 12 days, 21:21, 9 users, load average: 0.17, 0.27, 0.27