Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Promise EIDE Controller Driver?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Promise EIDE Controller Driver?
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 17:42:45 -0600

John Goerzen wrote:

> In general, no special driver is required for IDE.  Most boards have
> compatible base implementations, so nothing extra is required.  It could be
> that your board uses a different chipset like the CMD640 (IIRC) or an Intel
> chip.  Since it's working, that's a good sign that I'm right here.

Oh yeah, it works.  Has since I put it in.  It's just one of those
boards that implements the Extended IDE, capable of something like 14
MB/sec with the drivers and a fast EIDE drive.  Since I have a lower
speed drive daisy chained on with it, I could only acheive something
like 5 MB/sec or a bit less under DOS/Win.  This thing uses a chipset
made by Promise themselves which they  license to other OEMs.  I'm not
sure if it is CMD640 compatible (I doubt it) as the manual doesn't say
anything about this and they supply their own drivers.

I was just curious if anyone knew of any support that might have been
added in the 2.1.xxx kernel series for the Promise chips.  A bit more
throughput than the current 1.5 MB/sec I'm probably getting now would be
nice.

You can
> experiment with turning on all the special drivers like the CMD640 and stuff
> in the IDE area and see if it improves performance any.  After you do so,
> dmesg may be able to show if it detected those special chips.

Or, see if I can cause it to crash spectacularly!

Thanks, Happy Thanskgiving to all!

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | KA0RNY @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM     | "Depression is