Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Phi Samba Jamma

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Phi Samba Jamma
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:27:41 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Carl B. Davis wrote:

> Hi,

Hi!

>         -     Is there a "debug" sort of thing that will let me walk
> through the initialization slowly so I can see what is working and make
> a note before it moves on?

You can hit ^S to pause the output (if you're quick enough),
then ^Q to restart.  There's also the 'dmesg' command.  You can also
go into the scripts in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/ and put in 'echo stuff' in
them to tell you what's going on.  Basically, init grabs all the files
that start with S in that directory and runs them in numerical order
(S10, S20, S35, etc).

>         -      It appears like I'm not getting Samba to run at all since
> I get all these command not found messages.  Is that right?  What can I
> do about it.  I have edited the smb.conf file, but only to personalize
> some of the settings, and I followed the HowTo's, etc.  It has been
> returning these errors since I installed it with Samba.

`rpm -qa | grep samba`
`rpm -qil samba` (or whatever the package name is)
`which samba`
look in the init scripts and see if they match up

> *    When I run Ping from Windows, it defaults to my modem and doesn't
> seem to try and send it out over the network.  What is the proper way to
> ping over a network from a Windows 95 computer?

You should be able to configure it to say 'network' instead of
'modem', but the last time I used win95 was ... oh, a long time ago.

> Thanks for any suggestions or help.

G'luck!

-jeff
-----
Jeff Schaller, UNIX System Administrator, Learjet Inc.
Phone: 316 946-7255, Fax: 316 946-2809
The above thoughts are mine and are not representative of Learjet.
 10:27am up 11 days, 23:27, 9 users, load average: 0.22, 0.16, 0.12