Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Redhat 5.0 Install Problems

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Redhat 5.0 Install Problems
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:55:25 -0600

Dan Hull wrote:

> To anyone who wishes to help, HELP!
>
> I have a generic Intel system I built myself as follows:
<snipp>
> I consider myself to have advanced experience and knowledge with the
> Intel hardware and unfortunately the Microsoft OS products, but
> UNFORTUNATELY, very limited knowledge in UNIX in general and even less
> with LINUX.  Any help from you experts out there is GREATLY appreciated.
> Please be kind to me, I come from a MS backround by proxie, not by
> choice.

Sounds like a hardware problem to me.  Make sure all the drive cables
are in good shape and run the "wdiags" program from WesternDigital to
check the hard drive.  If the bios can do a memory check, make sure it
is doing it.  Pull out the sound card (and any other unnecessary cards)
and try the install again.. Still having problems?  Clean the distro CD
and inspect for scratching...  You've done all that already?  Then...

You want to try a copy of Red Hat 5.1?  I can burn you a copy of my CD
if you want...

I had a similar problem with an install that had to do with EZ-Drive not
getting installed, but it does not seem like your machine should require
EZ-Drive.  If you use wdiags, you can compleatly wipe clean the new
drive (partition tables, MBR and all) you should not have problems with
it.

-= bob =-