Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] New Linux

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] New Linux
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:25:36 -0600

John Goerzen wrote:

> Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > > I just purchased the Redhat 5.1 Linux version and received it today.  I
> > > have a Pentium 133 sitting around that I want to revitalize into the
> > > file/print/mail/communications server on my lan.
> >
> > Wow... That much of a machine for file/print/mail/communications server
> > on a lan..  It will have time to spair... We do this on an old 486 and
> > it does not even start to huff..
>
> It depends on the size of your LAN, I would suspect.  An old 486 isn't
> sufficient for cs.twsu.edu, for instance :-)

Oh, If you can stand a 10BT/100BT connect rate, an old 486 would provide
adiquate communications server support and be able to punt mail to an
internal mail server..  You are right though... Doing it all for more
than a small office full of users, might leave folks waiting for a lot
of stuff.  Suppose a file server might need a bit more hardware than a
common 486, but you might be suprised with linux in this area..

> > 4.  Give us a call if you have troubble, we will try to help.
>
> Does this refer to cssgroup?  Are y'all giving out free informal Linux help
> or will you charge for it?

This was actually a personal offer, not associated with CSS Group
directly. (Sorry about the plural pronouns).  I would have to limit the
available support to my free time of course, and it would not be
available for obviously comerical applications w/o going through the
office for obvious reasons.

Questions pushed our (CSS Group's) way might be answered as time and
internal interast permits, but we are in the business of selling such
support at this point so don't expect a large ammount of effort.  I'm
not going to spend 3 man weeks answering a question we don't get paid
for and stay in busniess for long, but we don't mind helping out the
neighbors when we can.

So to answer your first question, yes, as time permits, I don't mind
giving out free informal help and I don't see my employer being bothered
by using his phone or hardware in the process as long as I'm not giving
away the store in the process.

-= bob =-