Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] New Linux

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] New Linux
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:27:01 -0500

Carl B. Davis wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I just purchased the Redhat 5.1 Linux version and received it today.  I
> have a Pentium 133 sitting around that I want to revitalize into the
> file/print/mail/communications server on my lan.

Wow... That much of a machine for file/print/mail/communications server
on a lan..  It will have time to spair... We do this on an old 486 and
it does not even start to huff..

> My Pentium 133is a Clone, off brand type machine.  The thing I'm
> concerned about most is the support for the PCI network card and the
> video card.  The network card is NE2000 compatible, but is one of the
> $25 variety that probably won't be on a list anywhere.  I don't know
> what kind of video card I have.  I expect it too is a no-name brand.  I
> never got Xwindows or Xfree86 (whatever it's called) to work last time,
> but ultimately the GUI interface is what I want.

Well if you have to have X Windows, the worst case is that you just buy
a $45 (or less) video card that is supported.

> Any suggestions before I get started would be appreciated.  It's still
> not too late for me to turn back. so if the reply is "abandon all hope
> ye who enter here",  I guess I can give it up.  Seriously, let me know
> of  any specific sources on the internet that would help me get it set
> up as indicated

These few things come to mind...
1.  Get the following things before you start the install...
        a.  The upgrade to glint from Red Hat downloaded and on a floppy,
        b.  A clear idea how you want to partition your disk,
        c.  Two blank floppies (IBM formatted),
        d.  The Spec's on your monitor (or the owners manual) and any info off
your video card,
        e.  Your network info for this box (Name, IP, netmask etc),
        f.  Know what your mouse is (PS/2, com1, com2 etc),
        g.  Know what your modem is...

2.  Backup any data on the drive you may want to keep.....(if any).

3.  Go for it, per the instructions provided by Red Hat...

4.  Give us a call if you have troubble, we will try to help.

-= bob =-