Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] New Linux

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] New Linux
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 23:23:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Carl B. Davis wrote:

> My Pentium 133is a Clone, off brand type machine.  The thing I'm
> concerned about most is the support for the PCI network card and the
> video card.  The network card is NE2000 compatible, but is one of the
> $25 variety that probably won't be on a list anywhere.  I don't know
> what kind of video card I have.  I expect it too is a no-name brand.  I
> never got Xwindows or Xfree86 (whatever it's called) to work last time,
> but ultimately the GUI interface is what I want.

I have used several no-name network cards, both ISA and PCI under linux
with good results. The latest kernel (2.0.35) properly probes for NE2000
PCI cards.  As for the video card, you will need to find out what chipset
is on the card.  There is a file that lists all the supported cards and
the server options required.  In my case it's located in /var/X11R6/lib.
Once you know the chipset, you can run the X11 setup program.  These days
*most* cards are supported.  The few that aren't fully supported tend to
be the very newest high-end cards.

Good Luck!

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx, dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.dwh.dyn.ml.org , www.dnd.ddns.org