Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Hotmail style mail app

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Hotmail style mail app
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Oct 1998 21:12:16 -0500

"Cory T. Lamb" <ctl4u@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Is there a linux app that will give my users a web interface to use with
> email instead of pine???  If there is please let me know.

I don't believe there is something like that already exists, although
it shouldn't be too hard to write.  (Also, I could be wrong, maybe
somebody else has heard of something.)  What sort of platform are your
users running?

Netscape Mail is supported on just about every platform and gives a
more powerful interface than HotMail (although perhaps less powerful
than interfaces like Pine and Mutt for Linux).  You can set up a POP
server on your Linux box and then people can use Netscape Mail to
connect and read mail.

The downside is that if people are checking mail from lots of
different locations, Netscape Mail doesn't make a good solution unless
all of the computers in question are Unix-based.

> *This message sent with 100 percent recycled electrons.
> No french toast was created or destroyed in the process.*

Hehe :-)

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |