Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] PNP

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PNP
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Oct 1998 10:49:02 -0500

For most PCI cards, you should have no trouble at all.  If it is a
10baseT (*NOT* a 10/100 card), the thing to look for is "NE2000"
compatibility.  This applies to both ISA and PCI cards.  I am not
presently aware of any PnP ISA Ethernet cards.  PnP with PCI cards in
Linux doesn't require any special effort.

If you are getting a 10/100 card, you want it to be based on either
the DEC Tulip or 3Com Vortex chipsets.  The SMC and Kingston cards, I
believe, are based on the Tulip, and of course, 3Com cards are based
on the Vortex.  All of these will be PCI PnP and all are supported
without any special configuring.

Linksys also makes PCI NE2000 (10Mb) cards that can be used without
any special configuring.

John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |