Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] PNP

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PNP
From: Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:09:11 -0500

John Goerzen wrote:

> For most PCI cards, you should have no trouble at all.  If it is a
> 10baseT (*NOT* a 10/100 card), the thing to look for is "NE2000"
> compatibility.  This applies to both ISA and PCI cards.  I am not
> presently aware of any PnP ISA Ethernet cards.  PnP with PCI cards in
> Linux doesn't require any special effort.
>
> If you are getting a 10/100 card, you want it to be based on either
> the DEC Tulip or 3Com Vortex chipsets.  The SMC and Kingston cards, I
> believe, are based on the Tulip, and of course, 3Com cards are based
> on the Vortex.  All of these will be PCI PnP and all are supported
> without any special configuring.
>
> Linksys also makes PCI NE2000 (10Mb) cards that can be used without
> any special configuring.

ok, i am using a RealTek 8029 card...  does anyone know what drivers to
use for this one?  it is PCI and PnP...  in kernel 2.0.34 i am using the
PCI NE2000 comatable drivers, but when i use what i *assume* to be the
same in 2.1.x, it never seems to work (this is when i get those
2,000-some odd errors when running ifconfig).   is there some sort of
other chipset i'm supposed to config for?  i don't have any literature
on this card, as i bought it from my sysadmin, and they just gave me the
card and diskette w/ windoze drivers.  can anyone help me out?  or
atleast point me in the right direction?  once i get that going, i'll be
running a 2.1.x kernel and I'LL HAVE SOUND SUPPORT!  WOOHOOOO!  i just
need to get this mother working first.

thanks,
jesse

p.s. thank you VERY much for that last ACLUG meeting, john...  it not
only helped me understand how to config samba, i learned a buch of basic
stuff about networks, that i really can't learn here at good ol' TC
(Tabor college), since they don't have much as far as networking
classes, and i'm learning the best i can working here.  keep up the
GREAT work!!!