Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] word processor needed...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] word processor needed...
From: Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:03:39 -0500

John Goerzen wrote:

> Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > 32Mb RAM on a P200 machine...
>
> This could explain a bit of it; when I run it on 32 MB machines, it
> takes quite some time to start, but once loaded, it's quite usable.
> It is rather a memory hog, unfortunately.
>
> > > The latest is 4.0sp3.
>
> > i've got the version that comes with Caldera's OpenLinux...  it's
> > 4.0...i can change those settings,  but there's no way (that i have
>
> This is key.  4.0sp3 contains *many* fixes and enhancements over
> version 4.0.  I would not recommend version 4.0 because it has a nasty
> tendency to coredump.  You can download 4.0sp3 from
> ftp.stardivision.com, but that site seems to be down as I write this.
> You may be able to find it on ftp.stardivision.de.

ok, it IS free then?  i could never quite figure that out... their
website is in mass dissaray, and i couldn't find any info on
staroffice4.x last time i looked...just SO5...  ok, i'll check sp3
out...  didn't know there was any other versions out there...  also,
when i give this caldera cd back to my boss, this way, i'll still have
the install prog! : ^ )

which brings me to another small (i hope) question...  lets say i get a
bunch of rpm's and .tgz's i want to burn to cd to keep from taking up so
much space (or maybe burn the .tgz in un-tarred, un-gzipped format, for
easier installation)... anyway, since i don't have a burner, i have
afriend of mine burn for me...he runs NT4sp3...  will the cd have to be
burned in windoze format, or is there a seperate cd filesystem that is
OS independant?  is that what that io9660 or whatever is?  my main
problem now will be getting the files to him... once i finally get
around to getting samba setup (no time yet), it *should* be pretty easy,
i assume... or maybe i'll just copy to my win9x drive, and carry that
mother over to his machine...  any bettter ideas?

jesse