Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] word processor needed...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] word processor needed...
From: Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 08:58:44 -0500

John Goerzen wrote:

> LyX is a great text processor.  I do not say "word" processor here
> because LyX is much more powerful, being more automated.  It uses a
> totally different paradigm and in many ways is much more powerful than
> Word or WordPerfect.  I've used it for many papers; it's automatic
> bibliography formatting features (just tell it what form your class
> uses and it can format things for you!), predefined page layouts,
> etc. make it ideal.
>
> If you wand a traditional word processor, I do suggest StarOffice.
> What has disappointed you about it?

first, it is INCREDIBLY slow.  it loads slow and is a huge load on my P200 while
running... slows everything down to a crawl...even Licq or xterm...  second, it
has some rediculous defaults... like a .79" margine default, and a papersize
default of 8.79"x11.59" and has cost me a few sheets of very nice paper because
of this...  and (that i have found) appears that there is no way to change these
defaults to something else.  there's some other things about it that are just
plain rediculous, and in some ways, it reminds me of good ol' MS Works in
windows...a good idea to put the spreadsheet, wp, database, etc into one
executable, but just a bad implementation of this idea.

now, maybe i'm just spoiled after using Office97, which i really do like (and
already own), but i really don't feel like rebooting every time i need to write
a paper (tho' i STILL have to do this to listen to music, since NONE of the new
kernels work for me...STILL network errors like that ifconfig msg i sent
you...any ideas on that?)

anyway, thanks for the input...i'll give LyX a try, and will very likely give
wordperfect's webpage a look.  know of anywhere in wichita that may have WP for
linux?

thanks,
jesse