Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] word processor needed...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] word processor needed...
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Oct 1998 08:20:44 -0500

Hmm, how much RAM do you have?  StarOffice is rather RAM-hungry and
you may want to close other running applications.

Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> first, it is INCREDIBLY slow.  it loads slow and is a huge load on my P200
> while
> running... slows everything down to a crawl...even Licq or xterm...  second,
> it
> has some rediculous defaults... like a .79" margine default, and a papersize
> default of 8.79"x11.59" and has cost me a few sheets of very nice paper
> because
> of this...  and (that i have found) appears that there is no way to change
> these

Hmm, you're sure you got the English version :-)

The latest is 4.0sp3.

In this version, Format->Page and then Page tab does show default
margins at .79" (but that's easy enough to change) but default paper
format of Letter, 8.5 x 11 inches.

> defaults to something else.  there's some other things about it that are just
> plain rediculous, and in some ways, it reminds me of good ol' MS Works in
> windows...a good idea to put the spreadsheet, wp, database, etc into one
> executable, but just a bad implementation of this idea.

Actually, in previous versions, they were separate, and technically
they still are (it uses shared libraries now) but it just presents a
unified front end.

Probably not; www.sdcorp.com has it.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |