Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] tcl/wish/etc command prompt

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: kulua-l@xxxxxxxxx, Todd_Lundstedt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] tcl/wish/etc command prompt
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Oct 1998 08:05:40 -0500

Hi Todd,

The good news is that this is not the default behavior of things on
all copies of Linux.  This is also the bad news, since it shows that
you have something weird going on :-)

Can you give a particular example of an X program that exhibits this
behavior?

A few questions:

 * Does this problem occur only in X-based apps or does it occur in
   the terminal as well, when run in xterm?
 * When you press the backspace key, do you see ^H?  Or does it do
   something else?  (Perhaps delete the character to the right?)
 * Does the Delete key do anything?
 * Does this problem occur in the Linux console alone?

Finally, check these web pages:

http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO-5.html
  (note particular the xmodmap lines and X resources)

http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO-13.html
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO-15.html

Hope this helps!

John Goerzen