Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] PNP

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PNP
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:24:55 -0500

John Goerzen wrote:

> If you are getting a 10/100 card, you want it to be based on either
> the DEC Tulip or 3Com Vortex chipsets.

There are some problems with the 3Com card driver for the 10/100 card
that are being worked on.  We are having difficulity with the selected
speed always being 10Mbps for unknown reasons.  I beleive that the
author of the driver is working on it, but I have yet to get things to
work right at 100Mbps.  (That reminds me that I need to check that out
again soon.)  Just be warned that the 2.0.34 kernel thinks it can
support the card, but cannot actually talk over the card.  This cost me
quite a bit of time trying to figure out...  You need to get the latest
souce from the author to get even the 10BT communication to work.

This is not a big problem... We just have to run that segemnt at 10Mbps
until we get a working Linux driver... Then shutdown the boxes, switch
the hub and boot.  Good cards otherwise.

-= bob =-