Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] PNP

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PNP
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:34:18 -0500 (CDT)

On 14 Oct 1998 aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Last night I had a chance to visit CompUSA. Looking at
> Ethernet cards I observed that every card that they stock
> was plug and pray. I am aware that pnp can be problematic
> under Linux, particularly with sound cards and modems. How
> well does Linux handle pnp 10BaseT cards? Is non pnp a
> requirement in a Linux box for ethernet cards?
>
> Any, and all, enlightment greatly appreciated.

If you are looking at PCI cards, there seems to be no problem at all.  I
bought a cheap PCI ne2000 clone card from CompUSA and run it on my Linux
box with no problems.  The latest kernels (2.0.35 at least) fully support
pci network cards. Mine is copiled in and auto probes for irq and address
on boot.  Jumperless ISA cards work okay too, but you may have to run the
DOS setup program to set the interrupt to something other than the default
setting (03). This program is only run once to set up the card as the
settings are held in NVRAM.

Good luck!

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.dwh.dyn.ml.org