Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] c tutorials

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] c tutorials
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:25:29 -0500

John Goerzen wrote:

> Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > The best "C" book that I know is "The C Programming Language" Second
> > Edition by Kernighan and Ritchie ISBN: 0-13-110362-8(also known as the
> > K&R book).  It is quite expensive, but I think it is the best available
> > book for learning C if you already know another language. It does not
>
> This is a good book, and indeed I own a copy as I'm sure most people
> that do lots of C programming do.  However, it is mostly a reference
> work, not really a tutorial; my opinion is that it's not appropriate
> for learning C but is a good book to have for reference.

I may be a crazy computer hacker, but I learned C from this book (With
some Professors looking on) and it was the only required textbook for
the course.  It is a steap learning curve though.  The book is written
as a teaching book which provides examples of how the language works. I
was assinged many of the exercises in the book as lab work. (Before the
answers where so easily obtained mind you.) So, at least for me, it was
an effective means of leaning C (Your milage may vary.)

The actual referance part (Appendix A and B) is quite small and I find
myself using the index to quickly find the topic in question in the
tutorial section.  It actually is the *only* book on C I have had at my
desk since I started programming in C them long years ago...  The
Standard Lib referance is quite nice and saves you a lot of scanning
through header files to find that prototype for that function you have
not used in years...

My personal opinon is buy this book first if you have any programming
experience...  Maybe somebody needs to get the book reformatted as an
online resource... The original version was freely distributed in binary
form if I remember correctly... I know that I would use it...

-= bob =-