Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] c tutorials

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] c tutorials
From: "Brian J. Chapman" <bchapman@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 21:14:28 -0500

Hi! I just joined the list so i didn't see the original post but if
someone is looking for C tutorials, I have a set of text files called
"Introduction to C Programing" by Peter Burden (c)1993 from the University
of Wolverhampton. It goes over mainly the basic stuff: variables, arrays,
structs, memory allocation, file handling, switch constructs, etc...but
its not bad for free or the 126k of bandwidth allocation to download. ;-)

I don't know where to find it on the net so let me know if you want it and
I'll be happy to mail it to anyone who wants it.

If you've got a few bucks (or a credit card) I'd suggest going over to
amazon.com and picking up "The C Programming Language: ANSI C Version" by
Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie ($42) and/or "C: A Reference Manual" by
Samuel Harbison et. al for about $34.

I also have "Practical C Programming" by Steve Oualline (an O'Reilly book)
which is a good starting point. It's very strait forward and easy to
understand, but its mainly for getting started and doesn't have much
"re-use" value as a referee book like the other two, but it does go over
One-way and Two-way Linked Lists and Binary Trees (although a little on
the brief side). This one goes for about $26 at amazon.com and is probably
the best "intro to c" book I've read thus far (but then I'm partial just
about any ORA book, especially "Unix Power Tools"!  =)

Now, can anyone recommend a good book on C++ besides the one written by
Bjarne Stroustrup himself? :)