Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] kernel compiling...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] kernel compiling...
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 18:36:33 -0500

Jesse Kaufman wrote:

> ok, i tried changing a few things in my hosts file...  may be the prob, but
> not
> sure yet...haven't rebooted...  my resolv.conf is as follows:
>
>     nameserver 198.248.166.181
>
> (i know that is my nameserver, and that that ip is right... am i missing
> anything else?)

I also have these two lines preceding the nameserver lines.  The domain
line tells the resolver what domian this host belongs to.  The search
line (IIRC) tells the resolver to look toward my ISP for any name that
doesn't match the local domain.  PPP is set as the default route so that
I can run TCP/IP over ham radio without name searches being tried over
the radio network.  My ISP provides two nameservers, hence addresses are
entered for each.

domain ka0rny.ampr.org
search midusa.net
nameserver ddd.ddd.ddd.ddd
nameserver ddd.ddd.ddd.ddd

I probably don't have things 100%, but it seems to work here when I am
doing both at once.

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | KA0RNY @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM     | "Thesaurus: A great