Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] kernel compiling...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] kernel compiling...
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01 Oct 1998 06:32:03 -0500

Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> ok, i compiled the kernel w/o APM, and it compiled successfully... BUT,
> when i boot, now it goes to the sendmail and smbd and hangs... how do i
> fix this?  i was told it was a prob w/ my nameserver preferences...  how

Sendmail, add to /etc/sendmail.mc:

FEATURE(nodns)
FEATURE(nocanonify)

*IF* you will never be using it to talk to the outside.

If you will, try upgrading to 8.9.1.  If you're running Debian, you
can snag the package from
ftp.debian.org:/debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/mail; otherwise,
you probably have to compile your own.

For SAMBA, I'm not sure.  In any case, the problem no doubt is that
it's trying to look up hostnames.  You may want to check and make sure
that /etc/hosts contains your full host.  For instance, on my machine,
/etc/hostname is "garfield" and the first two lines in /etc/hosts are:

206.53.111.225  garfield.complete.org           garfield
127.0.0.1       localhost

If you're not "live" on the net, both should be 127.0.0.1.  Of course,
do not use "garfield.complete.org", pick your own domain (make
something up if you have to).

> do i fix this?  PLEASE help me... i'm anxios to get the latest kernel up
> and running (2.1.123), and have SOUND SUPPORT! : ^ )

> p.s.  right now, kernel 2.0.34, i'm only getting e-mail, but cannot do
> anything else internetwise... other people on this LAN (win9x) say they

Starts to smell more and more like nameserver problems.  What's in
/etc/resolv.conf?  Can you ping if you use only an IP address?

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |