Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] kernel compiling...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] kernel compiling...
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02 Oct 1998 07:00:11 -0500

Hmm, interesting that it actually seems to work for you :-)

Generally, you have the host you're on first in the file, with the
FQDN first followed by the hostname only, then the localhost entry,
and then any other miscellaneous entries.

ie:

206.53.111.225  garfield.complete.org           garfield
127.0.0.1       localhost

And then, since I run my own DNS, all my other machines are listed in
BIND only and don't have to be duplicated in hosts.

/etc/hostname is simply "garfield".

One potential problem I just thought of for the original issue is if
the network card support is built as a module.  If the system is
could be causing trouble.  So if the system is pausing for long
periods there, you may want to try recompiling with the network card
not compiled as a module.  Also make sure that the card is getting
ifconfig'd before sendmail is being started.

John

Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> # for some (stupid) programs, irc and reputedly talk. :^)

This is largely bogus.  Talk is stupid anyway, and irc has no
problems.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |