Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] kernel compiling...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] kernel compiling...
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 06:24:13 -0500

Jesse Kaufman wrote:

> this is what my /etc/hosts file looks like:
>     192.168.0.26    LLoYDix.com    LLoYDix
>     127.0.0.1         localhost
>
> look ok?  messed up?  was i drunk when making it?  i'm really not the
> greatest w/
> networks ... i'm still a newbie there, too, but i'm willing to learn...

Looking at my /etc/hosts file, I see I put the hostname ahead of the
fully qualified domain name (fqdn).  Here's a copy of mine:

#
# hosts         This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
#               mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem.  It is mostly
#               used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
#               On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
#               "named" name server.  Just add the names, addresses
#               and any aliases to this file...
#
# By the way, Arnt Gulbrandsen <agulbra@xxxxxxxxxxx> says that 127.0.0.1
# should NEVER be named with the name of the machine.  It causes
problems
# for some (stupid) programs, irc and reputedly talk. :^)
#

# For loopbacking.

127.0.0.1       localhost

# This machine

44.122.0.49     linux   linux.ka0rny.ampr.org

# Others in ampr-net

44.122.0.2      wf0a    wf0a.ampr.org
44.78.25.14     n1uoc   n1uoc.ampr.org
44.78.25.6      kc5tkf  kc5tkf.ampr.org

# End of hosts.

I'm not sure if the order of localhost, this machine, then others makes
any difference.  To me it makes sense that this order is preferred.
Perhaps you may want to comment out sendmail in your rc.* scripts.  Are
you really using it?  If you are using POP to get your mail from another
server and smtp (such as with netscape mail) to send it to a server, you
can get by without sendmail until some of these other problems are
resolved.

I know you've written recently of networking seeming to die after a few
minutes.  Does the 2.1.123 kernel source documentation say anything
about other packages that need to be upgraded to support this kernel?
John, is a certain C library or gcc version required for the latest
kernels?  Often times new features break things.  This may be true in
your case since I think you have Redhat 5.1 and it is based on a stable
2.0.x kernel.  IIRC, networking has undergone major changes in the past
few months in the 2.1.x kernels.  You might need to get a new net-tools
package among other friends.

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | KA0RNY @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM     | "Thesaurus: A great