Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] kernel compiling...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] kernel compiling...
From: Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 16:19:43 -0500

ok, i tried changing a few things in my hosts file...  may be the prob, but not
sure yet...haven't rebooted...  my resolv.conf is as follows:

    nameserver 198.248.166.181

(i know that is my nameserver, and that that ip is right... am i missing
anything else?)

jesse

John Goerzen wrote:

> Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > ok, i compiled the kernel w/o APM, and it compiled successfully... BUT,
> > when i boot, now it goes to the sendmail and smbd and hangs... how do i
> > fix this?  i was told it was a prob w/ my nameserver preferences...  how
>
> Sendmail, add to /etc/sendmail.mc:
>
> FEATURE(nodns)
> FEATURE(nocanonify)
>
> *IF* you will never be using it to talk to the outside.
>
> If you will, try upgrading to 8.9.1.  If you're running Debian, you
> can snag the package from
> ftp.debian.org:/debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/mail; otherwise,
> you probably have to compile your own.
>
> For SAMBA, I'm not sure.  In any case, the problem no doubt is that
> it's trying to look up hostnames.  You may want to check and make sure
> that /etc/hosts contains your full host.  For instance, on my machine,
> /etc/hostname is "garfield" and the first two lines in /etc/hosts are:
>
> 206.53.111.225  garfield.complete.org           garfield
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
>
> If you're not "live" on the net, both should be 127.0.0.1.  Of course,
> do not use "garfield.complete.org", pick your own domain (make
> something up if you have to).
>
> > do i fix this?  PLEASE help me... i'm anxios to get the latest kernel up
> > and running (2.1.123), and have SOUND SUPPORT! : ^ )
>
> > p.s.  right now, kernel 2.0.34, i'm only getting e-mail, but cannot do
> > anything else internetwise... other people on this LAN (win9x) say they
>
> Starts to smell more and more like nameserver problems.  What's in
> /etc/resolv.conf?  Can you ping if you use only an IP address?
>
> > have no problems...
>
> --
> John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
> Developer, Debian GNU/Linux (Free powerful OS upgrade)       www.debian.org |

! Tabor College              !          ICQ UIN1: 4022791 !
! 400 S. Jefferson           !         ICQ UIN2: 13115282 !
! Hillsboro, KS 67063        ! kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx !