Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] "Let there be sound"

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] "Let there be sound"
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Sep 1998 21:08:53 -0500

"Jesse Kaufman" <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> ok, so how do i go about obtaining these "bleeding-edge" kernels, and how do
> i go about upgrading my existing one to 2.1.x?  also, is there anyway i can

You can find them on ftp.kernel.org.  The directory, I believe, is
/pub/linux/kernel/v2.1 and the file is linux-2.1.120.tar.gz (or
whatever is latest).

Download, untar, and then read
http://www.aclug.org/info/kernelcompile.html for general kernel
compilation info.

> just apply some sort of patch that will let me be able to only upgrade the
> sound parts of the kernel?  i tried the latest version of OSS/Free, but that

No, you must upgrade the entire thing because various interfaces
inside the kernel have changed.

> still doesn't support PnP cards such as mine.  heck, if all else fails, i've
> got a friend willing to trade me straight-up for his card (Ensoniq
> SoundScape non-PnP), but that'd only be for the school year, so i dno't have
> to f- w/ this card when i *should* be doing homework! : ^ )  ...  anyway,

hehe

> let me know what you've found out about some of the 2.1.x kernels (as far as
> stability), and which version you suggest...  also, when is 2.2.x coming

I've found 2.1.115 to be quite stable.  Rumor has is that 2.1.119 is
not, and that 2.1.120 is supposed to fix the problems, but I don't
know if it has.

> out?  sometimes, i like to live dangerously...  but not always w/ my os...

Yes.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |