Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Put LAN on Internet

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Put LAN on Internet
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:13:50 -0500

tkwo wrote:

>           Currently, I am mainaining a small network in my company, and I
> like to connect the network to the internet. I don't know where to start
> with. I have checked out some books and magazines. So far I knows (may be
> wrong) I can buy a router or a modem-pool (many built-in modems in one
> device). I like to know which device I should buy or is there other type of
> devices I could buy? I hope someone can help me. Thanks.

No modem pools needed for internet connections..

Like John said, just a linux box and some connection is all you really
need, though I'd would recommend that you make that box a "firewall" and
not run much on it.  Just park it in a dark closet, allow internal
telnet connections, and route normal IP traffic from the internal
network out while not allowing connections from the outside.

We currently have a old 486 as a firewall, and connect to a local ISP
via modem for internet access and E-mail.  Our Administrator does run a
small proxy server for HTTP on the firewall but that's it.  All IP
traffic is otherwise blocked.

Our 33.6 modem is usually enough for the 5-10 developers on our internal
network, a bit slow for large downloads.  Sites with large graphic
content are a bit slow, but most of those sites are not stuff anybody
should be looking at on a work computer anyway...

My advice....  Grab an old 486, drop a modem in it, install the absolute
minimum (no X windows, no fancy stuff like sendmail)...  Build a new
kernel with firewall support, masquarading, and not much else.  Set up
diald to dial that modem on demmand and connect to your local ISP of
choic... Add just about any handy network card (which you remembered to
have supported when you built your kernel) and connect it to your
network and a handy phone line.

You then tweek till things work, and the line is not up all the time.
Some services on windoz boxes can keep the line up if you don't block
them, so be careful.

Good luck, and if you get stuck the place I work for configures these
things for a living so just call and they will be happy to help (for a
price of course). Or e-mail me direct and I'll try to help.  Just
remember that I have yet to get my network at home working right so I'm
still learning myself.

-= Bob =-