Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Put LAN on Internet

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx, tkwo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Put LAN on Internet
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 Aug 1998 11:06:40 -0500

For this, a good person to talk to is an ISP who can give you an idea
of what you want.

A modem pool is probably not what you want, since this is generally
only used if you are an ISP yourself.  Most likely, you want some sort
of high-bandwidth dedicated or intermittent connection such as ISDN or
ATM.  There are several local providers of such things.

For instance, if you pick ISDN, you can put an ISDN card (such as the
SpellCaster ones) into a Linux box and use Linux as your
router/firewall.  Even a cheap 386 will do fine for that.

Or, you can purchase high-end hardware solutions for
routing/firewalling, such as those made by Cisco/Ascend.  However,
these generally are a good deal more expensive.

If you are going to do something with higher bandwidth than ISDN, you
may want to get a separate router anyway.

John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |