Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Put LAN on Internet

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Put LAN on Internet
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:19:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, tkwo wrote:

>           Currently, I am mainaining a small network in my company, and I
> like to connect the network to the internet. I don't know where to start
> with. I have checked out some books and magazines. So far I knows (may be
> wrong) I can buy a router or a modem-pool (many built-in modems in one
> device). I like to know which device I should buy or is there other type of
> devices I could buy? I hope someone can help me. Thanks.

There are alternatives available with Linux depending on your need. One
possible solution is to use IP Masquerading - Where the Linux box is
connected to the net and "masquerades" or translates the non routable IP
addresses from inside your organization to an IP that is valid on the
internet. This has the positive effect of being able to use firewalling
and rules to control who and what connects to your machines.  The down
side can be that a few internet applications will not work this way -
mostly things like MS Netmeeting.  This means you only need to have one
connection to the internet, whether it be dialup PPP, ISDN,  cable, etc.
Throughput of course will be split among concurrent users.

As for dial in,  you can get multi-modem cards and multi-port serial
cards. A number of these are fully supported in Linux. You can then run
Mgetty to support ppp dialin connections.

If you need more info, I can see if I can find relevant URL's for these...

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx  dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.dnd.ddns.org