Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Newbie on the loose {Dicussion}

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Newbie on the loose {Dicussion}
From: alx@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 09:51:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Cory T. Lamb wrote:

> 1)    A /boot partition of 5M
> 2)    A swap partition of [size = M of true ram]
> 3)    A root partition of [remainder]
> The reasoning behind this is that I figured Linux could better allocate
> the / partition than I could and it doesn't matter how big the / partition
> is [<= 1024 cylinders] because the kernel boots from /boot.  I'm just
> wondering if by not setting things up exactly, am I in danger of some sort
> of suprise?

It's better to split your partitions up cause if one partition gets hosed
you have a lesser chance of hosing the others.  Also, from what I have
heard (never actually read it anywhere) the ext2fs has performance issues
on partitions 2gig or over, so aside from safety you might consider
performance as a good reason for partitioning.

I usually give each of these their own partition:

/usr
/usr/local
/home
/var

Having things on their own partition is also good when you want to
upgrade.  When I went from RedHat 5 to 5.1 I did a straight installation
instead of an upgrade.  I didn't lose any of my stuff though cause I just
didn't format the home partition, and used it again in the new
installation.