Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Newbie on the loose {Dicussion}

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Newbie on the loose {Dicussion}
From: "Cory T. Lamb" <ctl4u@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 00:17:51 -0500 (CDT)

>       1)      A root partition of 100M
>       2)      A swap partition of 64M
>       3)      A /usr partition of 675M

Okay gang I'm not doubting the validity of this scheme I just wonder if
what I'm doing has any flaws or if there are any benifits to either way.
On the 4 systems that I have put Linux on, I have used the same scheme:

1)      A /boot partition of 5M
2)      A swap partition of [size = M of true ram]
3)      A root partition of [remainder]
The reasoning behind this is that I figured Linux could better allocate
the / partition than I could and it doesn't matter how big the / partition
is [<= 1024 cylinders] because the kernel boots from /boot.  I'm just
wondering if by not setting things up exactly, am I in danger of some sort
of suprise?

I would be very interested (if it isn't to forward to ask) to see some
other peoples partition tables and explanations of them.
TIA.
~Cory

Cory T. Lamb
Media Lab Manager
Information Media Services
Bethel College
                \\|//
                (o o)
*This message sent with 100 percent recycled electrons.
No french toast was created or destroyed in the process.*