Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Newbie on the loose {Dicussion}

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Newbie on the loose {Dicussion}
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 10:19:48 -0500

Cory T. Lamb wrote:

> >       1)      A root partition of 100M
> >       2)      A swap partition of 64M
> >       3)      A /usr partition of 675M
> >
> Okay gang I'm not doubting the validity of this scheme I just wonder if
> what I'm doing has any flaws or if there are any benifits to either way.
> On the 4 systems that I have put Linux on, I have used the same scheme:

It should work for the avarage home user.  If you are not going to have
lots of users or store lots of data in /home you should be fine.

Just think a bit about how you would adjust things should some partition
get too full, or if you add more disk space.  The beauty of Unix file
systems is that you can add more space, move things arround physicaly
without affecting what the users see. (Add a new disk drive in Dos, and
just *try* to move things and keep it running...)

There is one disadvantage to your proposal, but given your drive space I
don't think you have much choice.  I have 5.3 Gig that I've carved up
into various partitions (9 If I remember right).  I also have managed to
leave about 1 Gig free.  This allows me to expand a partition as the
need arises.  I had about 300 Meg for /usr and being the kind that likes
to try lots of software, I was running out of space.  All I had to do
was fdisk in a new 600 meg partition, format it, then copy the old /usr
to this new partition, change what gets mounted for /usr and then I have
a 300Meg more space.  You don't have enough space to do this type of
thing, but someday you could add another drive to the box.

A word of warning to folks who think they want to try this...  Be
careful with DOS and LINUX versions of fdisk, they don't always think
about things the same...  And Watch that you don't fragment your drive
if you can help it.

Unix system administration is about 70% thinking ahead (planning, doing
backups), and about 30% blood sweat and fiddle'n round. (At least for
me..)

-= Bob =-