Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Newbie on the loose

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Newbie on the loose
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 19 Aug 1998 16:21:53 -0500

Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> First, I'll be installing on a box running a 486 DX @ 66MHz. It has 16M of
> RAM, a 850M HD, a CD-ROM and a 28.8 modem. It is currently a Windoze 95
> system, but I don't intend to try to retain Windoze 95 function. I have the
> red hat 5.1 distribution CD's to install from.
>
> Now the questions:
>
> If I adequately understand the situation on partitions, my plan is to set
> up three partitions;
>       1)      A root partition of 100M
>       2)      A swap partition of 64M
>       3)      A /usr partition of 675M
>
> Is this a suitable plan? Is too much or too little disk space alloted to each?

Since this is a small (relative) area, it may be better to have a root
and a swap partition only.

The problem with this layout is that /var, /home, and /tmp all will
end up trying to share 100 meg of space with root.  This is not a good
situation and will almost certainly lead to trouble down the road.

You may just want to create a 775 meg root partition and a 64 meg swap
partition.  Once you get disks over 1.2 gig or larger, partitioning
makes more sense.

> Where are files, created with the various programs that may be run, stored?
> Would they be stored in the /usr partition?

root contains files necessary for bootup.
/usr contains static (non-changing) data for each program.  This
includes the program itself, its documentation, and the like.
/etc contains configuration information.
/var contains variable data for each program.  This includes
things like high score tables for games, caches for some programs,
etc.
/home/username contains per-user configuration information for
programs.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
John