Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] another newbie in the linux community...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] another newbie in the linux community...
From: alx@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 09:44:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Jesse Kaufman wrote:

> i'm working on setting up Caldera OpenLinux on my cpu, but am having
> troubles.  the main problem is that i have grown up on MS products (i only
> got into computers in middle school, and i was born in '79), so i do not
> understand a good deal of linux terminology, etc.  anyway, i have gotten X to
> a point of working, but there are a few things i would like to work better.
> for instance, i want more than just 256 colors, which is what this is running
> at.  i have a STB Nitro 3D 2Mb vid card with an S3 ViRGE chipset.  how do i
> set this up to use the SF86_S3V and get 16-bit color in a 1024x768 res?

Assuming your XF86Config file has a configuration for 16bit graphics, you
can modify your startx and add the flag "-bpp 16" to the X command.

> second, how do i setup my sound card?  i have an Ensoniq AudioPCI card.

I think a lot of people use modules for a lot of this stuff now, but the
way I do it is recompile the kernel.  In X as root:

cd /usr/src/linux
make xconfig

There is a section on sound where you can specify the specifics of your
sound card.

When you are done, save and exit, then: make dep ; make clean ; make zlilo