Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
[aclug-L] another newbie in the linux community...

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] another newbie in the linux community...
From: "Jesse Kaufman" <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 00:11:56 -0500

i'm working on setting up Caldera OpenLinux on my cpu, but am having troubles.  the main problem is that i have grown up on MS products (i only got into computers in middle school, and i was born in '79), so i do not understand a good deal of linux terminology, etc.  anyway, i have gotten X to a point of working, but there are a few things i would like to work better.  for instance, i want more than just 256 colors, which is what this is running at.  i have a STB Nitro 3D 2Mb vid card with an S3 ViRGE chipset.  how do i set this up to use the SF86_S3V and get 16-bit color in a 1024x768 res?

second, how do i setup my sound card?  i have an Ensoniq AudioPCI card.

thank you for any help...  i hope my transition from WinDoze to linux is a good one, and i will need help!  : ^ )
---

---==[ Jesse Kaufman ]==---
---==[ kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ]==---
---==[ kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ]==---