Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] apache server

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] apache server
From: alx@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 09:39:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Truong Do wrote:

> ifconfig command gives me two addresses: and inet address and P-t-P
> address.  On my local machine, ping inet address returns network down
> but ping from the internet host, it is online.  So what is wrong?
> Another question is that I intend to run the web server on my machine (an
> intranet server only) and I know the dynamic host name for my local
> machine, eg, ict105.southwind.net, what is the URL to reach my local
> machine on web browser?

If I have this straight:

You have your machine on a local network (I'm assuming ethernet) and it's
dialed into the isp.  You want to know how to access the webserver on your
machine from your local network.

When you do ifconfig you should have more than one interface.  ppp0
represents how your machine looks to your isp, and eth0 represents your
machine on your local network.  Both should have an ip address assigned.