Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] apache server

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] apache server
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 18:21:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Bob Deep wrote:

> Truong Do wrote:
> >
> > Could anyone tell me the way to find out the IP address and host name when
> > I connect to my internet service provider?  The reason I need these
> > because I want to run the web server on my system and  I don't know what
> > should I put in URL for my local machine.
> >

> Well... It varies for most ISP connections, unless you have a static
> assigned IP.
>
> This means, that your IP will vary from connection to connection, so
 > your URL will also change each time you connect.
>
> You can find our assigned IP using "route" I believe....
>
> If you really want a "static" IP, you should contact your ISP and ask
> them for how much they charge for this service (if they even do it).
>
> BTW... I am assuming that you want to have a "real" web server out on
> the internet.  Should you only want to have an intra-net web server (not
> accessible from the internet) you can just pick an IP to use....

There is another option: dynamic dns.  Basicially a dns service provider
updates your dns entry each time you log in. This gives the appearance of
a static ip. For more information check out http://www.ddns.org

If you look at my web site listed below, you'll see the site hosted on my
Linux box if I'm connected to the net. If not, it's redirected to my
homepage at my ISP.  For a small fee they will do Mail Exchange
backup (MX Records) which allows one to set up their own mail host. When
connected to the net, my Linux box accepts e-mail for me. When I'm not,
the backup mail host accepts it. When I do connect, my mail is pushed
to me from the backup host. It really does work slick, and in my case gets
me away from the very poor email system my ISP uses...

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx  dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.dnd.ddns.org