Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] modem

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] modem
From: Bob Deep <bobdBOUNCEIT@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 07:49:34 -0500

Dale W Hodge wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Truong Do wrote:
> > I try all of these and still get the error, but I haven't try the devices
> > you point out.
> > >
> > > Next, does the modem work with other dialout software, such as minicom, or
> > > with some other operating system?
> > It does work with win 95, but I haven't try other dialout software.
> > >
> > > What kind of modem is it? Is it internal or external? Do I understand
> > > correctly that this modem did work at some point?
> > It is an internal US Robotic 28K/36K modem
> >

> Uh oh, this isn't a "Winmodem" by any chance is it?  Those *will not* work
> with Linux.  Winmodems use windows dll's to implement the firmware which
> is usually stored in ROM.  If this is the case you need to go buy yourself
> a good "standard" modem...

Better yet... Spend the extra bucks on an external modem... Then you
won't have problems with having a dummied up winmodem or Pnp
configuration problems... Plus you get some nice status lights to let
you know what's happening while you are trying to debug some PPP
problem, all without having to open your case...

BTW... Does anybody have, or know of, a way I can watch the modem status
lines on a serial port?  It would be nice to at least emulate "das
blinkin' lights" of an external modem.

-= bob =-