Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] modem

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] modem
From: Truong Do <tcdo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 00:52:22 -0500 (CDT)

> I do believe that the above line is indicating the problem. tcgetattr is
> the system call that gets information about the serial port from the
> serial port driver. The error is indicating that it can not do this. In a
> Windows (yukky) environment you would probably receive an error like
> "Could't not open serial port" or "Modem not responding." I got this error
> when I set the device aurgument to pppd to a serial device that I know
> does not exist on my system.
>
> This could be an interrupt problem, but it could be other things as well.
> Here are some things that I would want to know to help troubleshoot.
>
> You use /dev/modem as an argument to the pppd command. /dev/modem is
> usually a symbollic link to a device. What is it linking to? Type ls -l
> /dev/modem to find out. Is it pointing to the correct device? To use PC
> terminology, which COM port is the modem using? Rather than using
> /dev/modem for pppd, I would suggest using the driver /dev/ttySx where x
> relates to the port as follows:
>
> /dev/ttyS0 - COM 1
> /dev/ttyS1 - COM 2
> /dev/ttyS2 - COM 3
> /dev/ttyS3 - COM 4
>
> Do you get the same errors with this approach?
On RedHat OS, I believe this would correspond to
/dev/cua0
/dev/cua1
/dev/cua2
/dev/cua3
I try all of these and still get the error, but I haven't try the devices
you point out.

> Next, does the modem work with other dialout software, such as minicom, or
> with some other operating system?
It does work with win 95, but I haven't try other dialout software.

> What kind of modem is it? Is it internal or external? Do I understand
> correctly that this modem did work at some point?
It is an internal US Robotic 28K/36K modem

John says it might be the gated package.  Let me remove it and let you
know.
-Leon Do